Accidents and home messes happen can happen at any time and have a tendency to happen all the time when you have pets or children. It isn’t at all unusual to end up making a mess of your carpets just after a professional carpet cleaning session.
When this happens you have one of three choices; Order another carpet cleaning service, wait until your next professional appointment or try to get those stains out yourself. Here is how to spot clean your carpets for amazing results.
Remember this before you start…
Spot cleaning involves only removing spots and stains from certain parts of the carpet without cleaning the entire carpet. But when you do this you should be aware not to use the wrong products.
Cleaning products with a strong chemical formulation can get stains whisked away in moments but can also burn the color from your carpet.
This could result in discolored patches on your carpet and the only way to get bleached or lightened spots out is by replacing those carpet areas entirely. This itself poses its own series of problems since new carpets can have slightly different coloring than the rest of your room even if it is the exact same brand and color.
In the end, you could easily look into replacing your entire room’s carpets just because you used the wrong product.
Great Spot Clean Carpet Tips for Amazing Results
It is always best to stick to natural products when you are spot cleaning your carpets. That way you won’t cause any permanent markings on your beautiful and expensive flooring.
Here is how to get your carpet stains removed for amazing results;
- Clean up the mess. Use a dull knife to scrape off any dirt or grime from your carpet fibers but be careful not to spread the stain deeper into the fabric.
- Blot as much of the mess as you can with paper towels or a white cloth. Again, be careful not to spread the stain.
- Use the right stain method for different types of stains.
- Work from the edge to the inside so you won’t enlarge the stain.
- Don’t saturate the spot. Use as little cleaning solution and moisture as possible because too much can stain your carpet or could spread the spot.
- Use natural drying methods to dry the spot. A fan or hairdryer at low heat setting is a good idea.
DIY carpet cleaning solution mixes
To create your own cleaning solution you can try the following mixtures;
Detergent solution – Mix 1t dishwasher detergent with 1 cup of lukewarm water and spray or dab onto the stain.
Vinegar solution – Mix 1 part white vinegar with 1 part water
Ammonia solution – Mix 1t clear ammonia with ½ cup of lukewarm water and use moderately since ammonia can have a bleaching effect.
The best way to get stains removed without damaging your carpets is of course to schedule in a professional clean.
With expert carpet cleaning and professional equipment, your stains and any bad odors will instantly be removed without any risk to your beloved flooring.
If you have any questions about spot cleaning, contact Mike here at 580 Carpet Cleaning and he’ll answer them for you. We’re now offering a special offer so book your appointment today to get your carpets cleaned in time for the holidays!